MIL-STD-907B standard evaluates the development and design of rigid walled shelters. A few examples include:
- Radio Room
- Antenna Tower
- Base Shelter
- Power Shelter
- Electrical Equipment Shelters
- Instrument Shelter
Three lines of criteria are used in the design and engineering stage of effective shielding effectiveness:
- Achieve required performance and versatility by shelters.
- Minimize personnel man-hours to strike mobile shelters.
- Establish design standards of tactical shelters within the Agencies and Departments for the Department of Defense.
If a failure occurs, the Department of Defense would fail and remove the manufacturer from consideration.
According to the Department of Defense, there are five classes of shelters that would be categorized for applying this standard. The five categories are given a specific class:
- Class 1: Non-Expandable Shelters. These are shelters that have equivalent size and shape in any form of transportation necessary.
- Class 2: Expandable shelters. These are shelters that can expand in size and shape. However, they must fulfill an expansion ratio of 3-1 or less. Different shapes are also applicable.
- Class 3: Highly Expandable Shelters. These have expansion ratios larger than 3-1 to the transport size.
- Class 4: Knockdown shelters. Shelters that are reduced in height with exact items included inside for transportation.
- Class 5: Large Area Shelters. Shelters that are disassembled and packed in dedicated or general-purpose containers for shipment.
MIL-STD-907B follows the MIL-STD-285 standard, only with the following exceptions regarding test frequencies and test point locations:
- Magnetic Field Frequencies: 150 kHz
- Electric Field Frequencies: 200 kHz, 1 MHz, 18 MHz, 300 MHz
- Plane Wave: 400 MHz, 1 GHz, 10 GHz
- Test Point Locations: Following the MIL-STD-285 standard, one location per panel at the mid-point, and one location per vertical corner.
Expert MIL-STD-907 Compliance Testing
Keystone Compliance has the capabilities to test any size of enclosure to MIL-STD-907b. We have tested large items such as entire on-site installation buildings and small items that can be easily transported to our lab. In addition to MIL-STD-907 testing, Keystone has a full scope of expertise including environmental and package testing such as vibration, cold chain, and accelerated aging.
Are you ready to partner with Keystone Compliance to determine the shielding effectiveness of your product when tested to the requirements of MIL-STD 907B? Let’s get started!